World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If that is one of the criteria, why is USA getting to host it again?

You mean USA, Mexico and Canada?

Mexico has the largest football audience in the Americas, the US has a league that is up and coming and have qualified for the World Cup for years and years and Canada also has a decent league. Compare that to Qatar for me please. Are you seriously trying to compare a one city nation of a total landmass of Northern Ireland and a population of an average European city with the whole of North America?

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Mexico has the largest football audience in the Americas, the US has a league that is up and coming and have qualified for the World Cup for years and years and Canada also has a decent league. Compare that to Qatar for me please.

lol, what?

Mexico aside, USA and Canada don't have a 'football culture', and the USA certainly didn't when they were awarded the World Cup in '94.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

lol, what?

Mexico aside, USA and Canada don't have a 'football culture', and the USA certainly didn't when they were awarded the World Cup in '94.

Whataboutism at its finest. You exclude a country that is prepared, has the facilities, has something like 50 million people watching football every week (USA), but don't see the issue with a country like Qatar? And of course, jump straight over the fact that Mexico and Canada is also hosting it, which you didn't seem to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Mexico has the largest football audience in the Americas, the US has a league that is up and coming and have qualified for the World Cup for years and years and Canada also has a decent league. Compare that to Qatar for me please. Are you seriously trying to compare a one city nation of a total landmass of Northern Ireland and a population of an average European city with the whole of North America?

The Qatari league is probably a higher standard than the Canadian league. 3 or 4 Canadian teams play in MLS

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Qatari league is probably a higher standard than the Canadian league. 3 or 4 Canadian teams play in MLS

It may be. But compare the combine Mexican-American and Canadian league systems with Qatar and there's not really a discussion to be had. It's a non-argument.

14 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Whataboutism at its finest. You exclude a country that is prepared, has the facilities, has something like 50 million people watching football every week (USA), but don't see the issue with a country like Qatar? And of course, jump straight over the fact that Mexico and Canada is also hosting it, which you didn't seem to know.

I'm fully aware who is hosting the 2026 World Cup, my point was around 'football culture'. 

It could be argued that the 50 million people in the USA who watch football now, do so because the sport was allowed to grow after they hosted it in 1994, you would deny this to Qatar?

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm fully aware who is hosting the 2026 World Cup, my point was around 'football culture'. 

It could be argued that the 50 million people in the USA who watch football now, do so because the sport was allowed to grow after they hosted it in 1994, you would deny this to Qatar?

Before they bought the World Cup Qatar had a total of 1 football pitch in the whole country. How many football arenas\pitches\training grounds do you think there are in USA\Canada\Mexico? Did you answer the question about how far USA got in the first world cup above?

Football is a non-sport in a country where there is zero interest in it except for a few expats and some rich oppressive old men wanting to wash their country's reputation using their wealth. They could have given it to Morroco, where you'd have the same effect, just without most of the idiocy you see in Qatar.

Edited by magnkarl

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Football is a non-sport in a country where there is zero interest in it except for a few expats and some rich oppressive old men wanting to wash their country's reputation using their wealth. They could have given it to Morroco, where you'd have the same effect, just without most of the idiocy you see in Qatar.

I don't support the WC being in Qatar. I don't like Qatar's politics.

But Arabs are crazy about football. They have a huge interest in it. I'm not talking about ruling classes - I am talking about regular people.

There is a case for a WC being held in the Arab world (obviously this Qatar bullshit is all wrong) because football SHOULD be for the people around the world. Not just Germans or Brits, but for Africans or Asians. 

So the idea is right. But that's about it.  

• Like 1

One of the goals of FIFA is to increase the popularity of the sport around the globe, which we should all support. So I couldn't give a toss if a country is small compared to another more established country. Every world cup should be different and have it's identity whether it be South Africa's Vuvuzelas or Diana Ross missing a sitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I got Ghana in the work sweepstake. 

This World Cup is shit. 

I organised the work sweep for Euro 2004. I drew the pre-tournament favourites Italy. My boss was muttering that it was a fix, particularly when he got lowly Greece... 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I organised the work sweep for Euro 2004. I drew the pre-tournament favourites Italy. My boss was muttering that it was a fix, particularly when he got lowly Greece... 

tell him it's the tournament of corruption. what did he expect?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â