World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If that is referenced towards me... I actually don't have any tickets yet.... I am hosting and transporting about 50 fans though.. from the UK, US, South America etc. So will be too busy for the most part to actually attend any games, until probably quarters and semis.

I reckon alot of people are going to feel pretty stupid when they get here and realise the place is nothing like some have been duped into believing.

Seriously man. I've been to Qatar and if you actually go OUTSIDE the polished shit you'll find migrant workers quarters full of rats, without running water and with no working AC. These are law regulated things that people are still not doing. 

May I suggest that you actually watch some of the ENORMOUS amount of evidence that shows what is actually going on, rather than what people who make a shit ton of money on misery is telling you?

I'll take a source on the 37 figure please.

Along with Russia in 2018  this will be the world's largest sport laundering operation ever. FIFA can rot for their decision, along with France and how they traded their vote for the sale of fighter jets to a country that is morally in the stone age.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It will still make a ton of money from advertisers and sponsorship. It's only western countries who are complaining about the human rights abuse.  Which is a cheerful thought.

I'm sure coca cola are more than happy about it being there

I'll be curious to see the viewing figures. There are a bunch of uppity lefty snowflakes like me making a point of not watching a second of it, but even among others, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for this.

My team usually end our morning meeting having a chat about the weekend's football, and nobody has said a word about the WC coming up - I guess we'll see if that continues in a week

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll be curious to see the viewing figures. There are a bunch of uppity lefty snowflakes like me making a point of not watching a second of it, but even among others, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for this.

My team usually end our morning meeting having a chat about the weekend's football, and nobody has said a word about the WC coming up - I guess we'll see if that continues in a week

Most self publisiced boycotts make a little impact. If In-Ger-Land do well then the most of the great british public will still tune in.

I've been listening to "Inside the Qatar World Cup" which is a multipart podcast documentary from The Football Ramble (it's on their feed)

It's a really good reminder of just how **** up this world cup is and how ludicrous it ever got awarded in the first place.

I've said it time and time again, but surely with a world cup bid there should be some basic criteria you need to fulfill. And amongst the first two things should be "Do you have the infrastructure to host the tournament?" and "Is it physically possible to play football in the summer?"

The answer to both of these things is no for Qatar. The only way they've got close to having the infrastructure is through mass slave labour.
And during the summer you're forbidden to work outside between the hours of 10 and 3. Even if you're just a security guard who just has to stand there. it's a relatively new law so wasn't around when they won the bid, but highlights how ludicrous it is to expect people to play football in that heat.

I know that now that it's been moved the heat will be bearable, but the fact it won the bid as a summer world cup and was only move subsequently is mental.

The bid should have been laughed out of the room at the earliest opportunity

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

World Cup 2026 would be a good opportunity to critique the USA's police and gun violence problem...

If trump is back in power then I've got no doubt people will be louder in questioning and criticising the states in the build up to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With regards to workers... i'm so tired of seeing this " 6500 workers died building stadiums " farce being headlined and regurgitated. The manipulation is sickening. 37, yes,  THIRTY SEVEN people died in stadium construction related accidents. 6500 is the TOTAL number of migrant workers who have died over 12 year.... Since 80 - 90 percent of the population are migrants... and humans die... you do the maths.

Then... go and do a google about construction related death numbers worldwide.

The very same articles which will put 6500 in bold... will hide within the actual fine print of the articles that only 37 people have died, over 12 years. they then pad it out with the other bollox to illicit emotional and uneducated rants and reactions. The same articles even point out that most of the others have died with road accidents... disease and other reasons. 

Most of the deaths of workers go down as natural causes because it means the employer doesn't have any liability. They don't have to pay out compensation if it goes down as a natural death. You're right that only a small number have officially been recorded as work accidents, but 6,500 migrant workers have died in that time, and a huge amount of migrant workers are only there for the world cup work. The population has increased by 40% since the award of the world cup and a huge proportion of that are migrant workers brought in for that reason.

The 37 figure comes from the Qatari government. And like I said, it's in their interest to say the deaths are natural. These are fit and healthy young men, and huge amounts are dying from "heart attacks" or "respiratory failure" in their sleep. 

So, like you said. Do the math

If workers were being tormented here, as you've been lead to believe.... why do threy keep coming? Would you like me to answer this for you?

No I can answer it thanks.

They're going to Qatar because they're promised work and a better life, which isn't hard when a lot of these workers are coming from incredibly impoverished areas of Nepal, Kenya, India etc. And a lot of these human right abuses either haven't been publicised until after a lot of these workers arrive or they're not well known in the communities they come from.
Then when they arrive they're only given half the wage they were promised. And they're housed in literal labour camps. But by this time they've already been "sponsored" (which in reality is a loan from their employer to pay the immigration fees) and they can't afford to pay that off, so they can't really afford to say no otherwise they have to pay back thousands of dollars, which they obviously don't have until they've worked. See the vicious circle there? There are cases of workers working for 3 years and still not having paid off their loan. They're effectively working for nothing.

They then need permission from their employer to change jobs (they don't anymore but they did for a long time, and even now it's still very hard to change jobs), their employer holds onto their passport until they've paid off their loan, so they are, in effect, trapped.

So that's why they carry on coming, and that's why they can't leave.

Also... you do realise that the government aren't the ones doing the construction right? Most of the construction work here is subcontracted out to WESTERN companies....British, American, German, Turkish etc.. They are the ones who hire the workers and are actually responsible for them... i wish people would do some actual research. Under Qatari law....most of the things people moan about are actually illegal.

They are the ones hiring them and responsible for them. And they do so via the Kafala scheme which is *checks notes* controlled by the state. It's that scheme which allows them to bring the workers over and allows them to control the workers through human rights abuses.

I suggest people stop displaying their ignorance and go and do some ACTUAL research of their own. 

How have I done?

What's hilarious is that the people most riled up about this seem to be the British... with an innate bitterness about losing the bid themselves.

This is just pure bullshit. you can't accuse the British of reacting like the Daily Mail and then trot out generalising bollocks like this I'm afraid

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

My work hasn't even bothered to do a sweepstake for it. Zero interest from anyone. 

Summer tournaments usually attract fairweather fans who dont really care for club football and enjoy sitting outside watching games

Maybe somewhere like Australia might have a boom of fans

Edited by Zatman

My gut feeling is that the majority of people who watch football will watch the World Cup.

(I won't be, because I'm an uppity left snowflake too!)

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand you live there, but if you think that 37 deaths (and I'd dispute that figure) in the construction of a falsely won World Cup bid is acceptable then what the actual ****.

The UK has around 30 a year from 2m construction workers and we have some of the highest safety standards in the world

37 over a 10 year period is obviously not something to celebrate but its not crazy outlandish

Its the deaths outside of the site where its then completely different, it's not accidents that's killing them it's they're literally being worked to death

But said many times that's bigger than fifa

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Summer tournaments usually attract fairweather fans who dont really care for club football and enjoy sitting outside watching games

Maybe somewhere like Australia might have a boom of fans

I guess one silver lining is fewer dickheads throwing their pints in the air in November. Maybe.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â