World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Anyone else in a dual-nationality quandary?

UK-US dually torn right down the middle with Group B. Never quite sure where my allegiances finally lie when it comes to the WC. I have English Daddy Issues, I suppose. But I love England and America the same.

I do feel irritated about no Villa players on England, and Southgate seems wooden to me, but there's also a strong emotional connection to England I can't rid myself of and wouldn't ever want to, really. On the other hand, I'd love to see Team USA thump England because every time I hear some ignorant football-related comment about America, it makes England seem less likable somehow. Still, it's hard to get the Chelsea out of my head when I see Pulisic, but I admire him, too. I like Brenden Aaronson a lot. 

My 93-year-old dad from Bewdley Worcestershire will be all in for England but he'll also feel some allegiance towards Wales, as he used to spent time there as a kid.

I'll probably do my best to back both England and USA (leaning slightly toward the USA) until USA is inevitably eliminated, then I'll start doing embarrassing things like paint an England flag on my car.     

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They needed a special visa to attended conferences or sporting events and there was no direct flights between Israel and qatar

There now is a flight and fans with tickets can travel there without the visa 

I still think if you're an Israeli citizen and you want to travel to Qatar as a fan without a ticket to soak it all up you're not allowed

I didn't realize the words Jews and Israel were interchangeable, but maybe that's off-topic for this thread...

6 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

Really struggling to get excited for this World Cup. The WC is usually an exciting event but with it taking part where it is, and with how awful England look I just feel so flat about the whole thing. Hopefully that changes once things kick off. 

I barely give a shit about it, and usually I think it’s just the best thing humanity has created and get besides myself with excitement. Such a shame as it’s essentially an 8 year wait from the last World Cup to enjoy a World Cup. 

6 hours ago, a-k said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see the home side make a decent run. They've been training and playing together as a group for months, whereas other teams are just coming together and are tired from the intense start to the season. They don't have the strongest of groups and would face someone from England's group in the R16. 14-1 to make the QFs...

They got hammered by Ireland last year, if they do it wont be suspicious at all

• Like 1

I wish I could get excited about this.

It just feels like an exhibition and not a real World Cup. 

Maybe I'll feel different after the first few games but right now I'm just not getting those anticipatory feels that one usually gets before the WC.

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Anyone else in a dual-nationality quandary?

UK-US dually torn right down the middle with Group B. Never quite sure where my allegiances finally lie when it comes to the WC. I have English Daddy Issues, I suppose. But I love England and America the same.

I do feel irritated about no Villa players on England, and Southgate seems wooden to me, but there's also a strong emotional connection to England I can't rid myself of and wouldn't ever want to, really. On the other hand, I'd love to see Team USA thump England because every time I hear some ignorant football-related comment about America, it makes England seem less likable somehow. Still, it's hard to get the Chelsea out of my head when I see Pulisic, but I admire him, too. I like Brenden Aaronson a lot. 

My 93-year-old dad from Bewdley Worcestershire will be all in for England but he'll also feel some allegiance towards Wales, as he used to spent time there as a kid.

I'll probably do my best to back both England and USA (leaning slightly toward the USA) until USA is inevitably eliminated, then I'll start doing embarrassing things like paint an England flag on my car.     

German wife and live in Germany, will watch most of the games with the german father in law, bought my boy a Germany shirt for it and will cheer them on in all their games

But what I found during the euros is do I **** have a dual nationality problem 😂 I watched the game vs them in a German bar in my England shirt with 1 other English guy and 50+ germans, we said we'd be sensible and respectful if we scored... That didn't happen, we went nuts, fortunately ze germans were all sound (we were in a middle class wine bar because everywhere else was packed)

• Haha 1

The news here last night was in Qatar and they showed some argie fans out and about and I couldn't help but think it was fishy, must be expats at best fake at worst, they don't play until the 22nd no way has anyone turned up that early given the cost of being there

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

German wife and live in Germany, will watch most of the games with the german father in law, bought my boy a Germany shirt for it and will cheer them on in all their games

But what I found during the euros is do I **** have a dual nationality problem 😂 I watched the game vs them in a German bar in my England shirt with 1 other English guy and 50+ germans, we said we'd be sensible and respectful if we scored... That didn't happen, we went nuts, fortunately ze germans were all sound (we were in a middle class wine bar because everywhere else was packed)

How is the World Cup being received over there?  All of my German friends are boycotting and of course we've seen multiple anti Qatar fan displays at German stadiums.

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

How is the World Cup being received over there?  All of my German friends are boycotting and of course we've seen multiple anti Qatar fan displays at German stadiums.

Its flat as a witches tit, was talking about it yesterday with the father and brother in law there's no promotional stuff, there's no world cup coca cola, it's all Christmas, even the promotional beer is based on Christmas not football, there's zero want for it, not a clue what it will be like next week but we talked about watching a game together and it was like what day? Who they playing? What channel is showing it?

The news coverage and the adverts are picking up though

Edit -  it's also 90¢ for a pack of panini with 5 stickers in it, can imagine that's dying on its ass the greedy bastards

Edited by villa4europe

The only reason I'll have the games on is because if I don't I won't be able to use the excuse 'it's the "_insert_sporting_event_name_" it only happens every 4 years' excuse for having whatever sport is on.  If I don't keep it up that will be it gone. 

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Some cities have banned public viewings outside {though the cynic in me is suggesting it is probably because it will lose customers from the Christmas markets} and a lot of pubs are refusing to show the games

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its flat as a witches tit, was talking about it yesterday with the father and brother in law there's no promotional stuff, there's no world cup coca cola, it's all Christmas, even the promotional beer is based on Christmas not football, there's zero want for it, not a clue what it will be like next week but we talked about watching a game together and it was like what day? Who they playing? What channel is showing it?

The news coverage and the adverts are picking up though

Edit -  it's also 90¢ for a pack of panini with 5 stickers in it, can imagine that's dying on its ass the greedy bastards

there is, they have the official cans with the players on them

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

England fans...

maybe I have missed the sudden change in the last couple of days but from watching England games I would say about 75-80 percent of travelling fans are usually white

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â