World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but Russia was at least a credible country. South Africa made bribes and apparently Germany did for 2006

Dont be naive. England went to play in Trinidad and Tobago to impress Jack Warner and were scheduled for similar in Thailand who had a member on voting committee. Is that not a bribe too?

Australia also tried to bribe the committee for the 2022 bid. We just weren’t very good at it 😅

Australia’s 2022 bid team attempted to divert funds the federal government had set aside for existing development projects in Africa “towards initiatives in countries with ties to Fifa executive committee members with the intention to advance its bid to host”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/14/world-cup-bid-australia-public-money-bribes-fifa

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Anybody watching FIFA uncovered on Netflix? I’ve finished episode 2, has covered Blatter’s rise to power.

I thought it was good and not really anything football fans didnt really know about. I do believe Blatter in that he wasnt that keen on Qatar hosting it because he knew that really was game over for him and his team

Once that happened people went digging, as I said they have issues but Russia, South Africa and Brazil are all big countries and are all credible candidates to host. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Once that happened people went digging, as I said they have issues but Russia, South Africa and Brazil are all big countries and are all credible candidates to host. 

Quite true. It's almost like they continually pushed the boundaries of corruption, realised they weren't getting caught or stopped so just went straight to the last rung on the corruption ladder with the last suitable country that offered them the most money.

England FA aren't innocent in it all, you only have to look at how they handled the Newcastle take over, man city's FFP beach, VAR and PGMOL to realise they're totally fine with corruption.   Playing a friendly in a country you otherwise wouldn't have played a friendly in is definitely on the bribery spectrum, but clearly wasn't lucrative enough for FIFA.

Any country that is currently actively persecuting minorities and state sponsoring the murder of civilians is a terrible choice for hosting a global tournament. Russia and Qatar are both as bad as each other. 

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Quite true. It's almost like they continually pushed the boundaries of corruption, realised they weren't getting caught or stopped so just went straight to the last rung on the corruption ladder with the last suitable country that offered them the most money.

England FA aren't innocent in it all, you only have to look at how they handled the Newcastle take over, man city's FFP beach, VAR and PGMOL to realise they're totally fine with corruption.   Playing a friendly in a country you otherwise wouldn't have played a friendly in is definitely on the bribery spectrum, but clearly wasn't lucrative enough for FIFA.

Any country that is currently actively persecuting minorities and state sponsoring the murder of civilians is a terrible choice for hosting a global tournament. Russia and Qatar are both as bad as each other.

I'd love to know what the English FAs Qatar delegation looks like and what they will actually do out there, including how much they spend and is spent on them

It'll be time of their life stuff

Will be good to see which paper breaks the story of Debbie Hewitt sniffing coke from a strippers bumhole on board a billionaires yacht 

I've got visions of the various FAs going out there and living like Wolf of Wall Street while this tournament is going on

Edited by villa4europe

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but Russia was at least a credible country. South Africa made bribes and apparently Germany did for 2006

Dont be naive. England went to play in Trinidad and Tobago to impress Jack Warner and were scheduled for similar in Thailand who had a member on voting committee. Is that not a bribe too?

Of course but then there were a bunch of non-footballing issues too. At the end of the day, Russia shouldn't have been allowed to host the World Cup after it invaded Ukraine for the first time in 2014.

I wonder will the media be as critical for the 2026 World Cup when its in a country with a police force with a reputation for cruelty to black people and who have done damage to multiple countries around the world

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I wonder will the media be as critical for the 2026 World Cup when its in a country with a police force with a reputation for cruelty to black people and who have done damage to multiple countries around the world

No they won't. There will be zero bad news around that world cup.

Not saying its right, but where would you rank the US compared with Qatar/Russia for the bad things they do? On the police force point,  do you think its isolated police forces or do you think its their government pushing the agenda?

I'm not trying to defend the US, but for me they're a massively better country than either Qatar or Russia, and whilst far far from perfect,  you start looking at them as inappropriate hosts and you may as well scrap the whole tournament.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They might if it's ran by Trump. Would be kinda fitting I guess although I hope it isn't of course.

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

No they won't. There will be zero bad news around that world cup.

Not saying its right, but where would you rank the US compared with Qatar/Russia for the bad things they do? On the police force point,  do you think its isolated police forces or do you think its their government pushing the agenda?

I'm not trying to defend the US, but for me they're a massively better country than either Qatar or Russia, and whilst far far from perfect,  you start looking at them as inappropriate hosts and you may as well scrap the whole tournament.

Is it better than Qatar? The US has a lot more blood on there hands compared to Qatar. People of Afghanistan, Iraq were not invaded by Qatar, not to mention all the people who have had lives ruined by interference in multiple countries

Come on its not the same

The US at the very least will be open and safe for every football fan that wishes to attend, it's a country that already receives 80m tourists per year

These 2 world cups were held in a racist country followed by a homophobic one

For all of the yanks problems domestically and policies that we don't agree with it will have no impact on the tournament

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is it better than Qatar? The US has a lot more blood on there hands compared to Qatar. People of Afghanistan, Iraq were not invaded by Qatar, not to mention all the people who have had lives ruined by interference in multiple countries

Maybe not by historical standards, but currently though, today, I wouldn't say theyre in the same ballpark as Qatar.

If the media were to use it as a means to call out the problems with the country hosting it, it wouldn't be a bad thing. But unless an incident happens with the police at the US world cup, it won't be. I don't imagine the US will invade anyone between now and their world cup for the media to call out either.  Not will thousands of people die doing slave labour making the stadiums. The media will rightly focus on the football.

Mexico and Canada aren't squeaky clean either. Canada has recently been sliding down the corruption ladder, and Mexico is terrible for corruption and their human rights record is bad. Their special forces kill more civilians than the US do. Why aren't you calling out them instead?

Sport shouldn't be political, but going to Qatar has made it so. The only thing that we can talk about with Qatar is the politics as it has Zero footballing credentials or history. As a sport there, it might as well not exist.

That isn't saying we should ignore the problems with other hosts, but it's a whole other level with Qatar.

They've only just agreed that Jews can attend the world cup. It's a farce.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In news associated with that, this week Qatar have announced that they've relaxed the rules and Jews can come to the country to watch the world cup

But yeah the states is definitely a worst place...

I'm sure all and every Iranian traveling to the US WC will have no issue clearing the border controls :D 

Have a number of friends who've been stuck for hours and even deported due to them having Iranian family. And that's people who are Swedish citizens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

In news associated with that, this week Qatar have announced that they've relaxed the rules and Jews can come to the country to watch the world cup

But yeah the states is definitely a worst place...

What news is this? Jews have never been banned from entering Qatar or attending the WC...

It wouldn't surprise me to see the home side make a decent run. They've been training and playing together as a group for months, whereas other teams are just coming together and are tired from the intense start to the season. They don't have the strongest of groups and would face someone from England's group in the R16. 14-1 to make the QFs...

7 minutes ago, a-k said:

What news is this? Jews have never been banned from entering Qatar or attending the WC...

They needed a special visa to attended conferences or sporting events and there was no direct flights between Israel and qatar

There now is a flight and fans with tickets can travel there without the visa 

I still think if you're an Israeli citizen and you want to travel to Qatar as a fan without a ticket to soak it all up you're not allowed

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â