World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Argentina and Mexico is a tasty one. They are essentially the two biggest Spanish speaking Latin American countries at opposite geographical ends. But this Mexico team is the weakest in years. Argies should handle them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Slightly disappointed with this group. We've played England and Iran before in group stage. I really wanted Argentina or France.

Have to say, I feel the same. 

Long long way to go before Wales even qualify, but I wanted the draw to be a bit more… exotic. Wanted some Mexico, or Senegal, Qatar, or Ecuador. That sort of schizz.

But, I guess you got to play the hand you’re dealt. Last time Wales played England in a footy international we won 4:0 and the last time we were in the same group in a finals competition, Wales finished top of the group.

Still would have preferred Argentina though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, og1874 said:

How's the winter transfer window going to work around this mess?

Does it open and close with the international break?

I think the WC final is Sunday 18th December so imagine the January transfer window will be unaffected 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think the WC final is Sunday 18th December so imagine the January transfer window will be unaffected 

Seems a wasted 6 weeks that could've been used for transfer business if that's the case

6 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Seems a wasted 6 weeks that could've been used for transfer business if that's the case

I’m guessing we’ll have our targets sorted well ahead of the tourno anyway but as for dead time with no league football, I agree it could be used for transfers. 

8 minutes ago, og1874 said:

We can do transfer business in the 6 weeks, we can scout too

The window is just for the transferring of registrations, you can sign a player and agree contracts whenever you want 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

We can do transfer business in the 6 weeks, we can scout too

The window is just for the transferring of registrations, you can sign a player and agree contracts whenever you want 

True enough actually, I suppose it doesn't really make any difference in the bigger picture

Fitness for those who don't play in it will be the weirdest thing 

What do you do with say John mcginn cos he won't be there :trollface:, give him 2 week holiday, 4 week holiday, play 1 friendly or a series of friendlies or what, do you give them time off but with strict fitness regimes and expect professionalism or do you tell him go to dubai and do what you want, will us being 15th or 5th make a huge difference to what our players get up to and what attitude they come back with 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What do you do with say John mcginn cos he won't be there :trollface:, give him 2 week holiday, 4 week holiday, play 1 friendly or a series of friendlies or what, do you give them time off but with strict fitness regimes and expect professionalism or do you tell him go to dubai and do what you want, will us being 15th or 5th make a huge difference to what our players get up to and what attitude they come back with 

Good point - for players that don't go to the World Cup, this is going to be peculiar break. If Scotland don't make it, it'll be great for McGinn as he'll be playing international football in June and won't get a lot of rest - for lads who aren't internationals it's going to be very strange - they'll have June off, then a July pre-season, three months of football and then another month off. 

Whose stupid idea was this again?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

From our current squad we have probably 6 players going to the World Cup and last World Cup had 108 Premier League players. I imagine the top 6 had a large number of that 108 as well.

Will be enough players available for friendlies after a 2 week break

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good point - for players that don't go to the World Cup, this is going to be peculiar break. If Scotland don't make it, it'll be great for McGinn as he'll be playing international football in June and won't get a lot of rest - for lads who aren't internationals it's going to be very strange - they'll have June off, then a July pre-season, three months of football and then another month off. 

Whose stupid idea was this again?

My completely unfounded guess is that a mid table team with nothing to play for going in to it will come back from it and drop like a stone 

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Have to say, I feel the same. 

Long long way to go before Wales even qualify, but I wanted the draw to be a bit more… exotic. Wanted some Mexico, or Senegal, Qatar, or Ecuador. That sort of schizz.

But, I guess you got to play the hand you’re dealt. Last time Wales played England in a footy international we won 4:0 and the last time we were in the same group in a finals competition, Wales finished top of the group.

Still would have preferred Argentina though.

Clearly the common denominator is England is really boring..

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My completely unfounded guess is that a mid table team with nothing to play for going in to it will come back from it and drop like a stone 

Like a regular Brighton season

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â