The New Condem Government

bickster

so was curious to see if a pint actually went down by a couple of pence  .. or just the 1 p headline

I thought Osborne said, "From Sunday night..."?

Since when did the price of a pint go down (or up for that matter) by a penny, anyway? Normally it would be five or ten pence unit changes, wouldn't it?

If it does go down by a penny anywhere then it would be no more than a gimmick, surely?

For anyone interested, here is a link to the IFS briefing and analysis on the budget.

As per this Spectator article on the briefing, the IFS are a bit nonplussed by some of the shenanigans in order to make the budget (and especially the borrowing figures) add up:

There is every indication that the numbers have been carefully managed with a close eye on the headline borrowing figures for this year. It is unlikely that this has led either to an economically optimal allocation of spending across years or to a good use of time by officials and ministers’.

How the heck did Michael Gove keep a straight face on QT tonight when that Candaian claimed to have been an actor and musician with afghan heritage in a previous life

Ive no doubt the "non Tory " viepoint in here will disagree but Gove came over quite well tonight ,clearly a very bright man but surprisingly seemed to engage with the audience

• Like 1

How the heck did Michael Gove keep a straight face on QT tonight when that Candaian claimed to have been an actor and musician with afghan heritage in a previous life

Ive no doubt the "non Tory " viepoint in here will disagree but Gove came over quite well tonight ,clearly a very bright man but surprisingly seemed to engage with the audience

That was funny but nothing like as funny as when he totally owned that dozy Labour mare who failed the 11+. Personally I've never had a problem with Gove. He pretty much knows what educational reform is needed.

Eh?

Gove does seem less hateful than his colleagues although I'm not sure about his false modesty saying he wouldn't want to be PM.

• Like 1

It also fits with the coalition government's view that social housing should just be part of a temporary safety net rather than a proper supply of housing stock (assured tenancy changes, 80%+ market rents, moving LHA maximum from mean down to 30th percentile and so on).

shouldn't all benefits just be a temporary safety net?

It also fits with the coalition government's view that social housing should just be part of a temporary safety net rather than a proper supply of housing stock (assured tenancy changes, 80%+ market rents, moving LHA maximum from mean down to 30th percentile and so on).

OAP? :huh:

unless of course you see old age as temporary (until death)?

Disability allowance - how can that be temporary? (unless of course you think people's disabilities can be 'cured')?

• Like 1

?

Did you ignore my post or is your view that social housing is 'benefits' or just for people on benefits??

OAP? :huh:

unless of course you see old age as temporary (until death)?

Disability allowance - how can that be temporary? (unless of course you think people's disabilities can be 'cured')?

I don't really think of pensions as a benefit, thats more an investment/saving pot, you pay in NIC's, you get a pension at the end of it.

yes, i forgot about disabilities, that obviously can't be temporary.

?

Did you ignore my post or is your view that social housing is 'benefits' or just for people on benefits??

eh?  i replied to your post  :wacko:

yes, social housing is obviously part of welfare benefits.  and should be given temporarily until people can get back on their feet. 

Of course, some can't (disabilities etc) and so will be in it long-term, but for the normal person on the street, it should be a helping hand, not a lifetime guarantee of free/subsidised housing.

yes, social housing is obviously part of welfare benefits.  and should be given temporarily until people can get back on their feet. 

Of course, some can't (disabilities etc) and so will be in it long-term, but for the normal person on the street, it should be a helping hand, not a lifetime guarantee of free/subsidised housing.

I think the use of the word 'given' betrays a biased starting point on the issue.

Are people who take out tenancies in the private sector 'given' housing?

It would appear that you are putting forward the proposal (much like the government's line of thought) that all social housing should be some sort of transient refuge for the poor.

I would agree with you Ender on Council Housing. It should be used in a manner to act as a temporary stop gap to enable people to enjoy less than market value rent, often supplemented by housing benefit, to get themselves into a more financially seccure position.

Right to Buy is clearly a good thing although the obvious negative is that it reduces the stock of council houses, but then this is where your LA's use of s.106 TCPA comes in with provisions for affordable housing in the area.

Right to Buy is clearly a good thing although the obvious negative is that it reduces the stock of council houses, but then this is where your LA's use of s.106 TCPA comes in with provisions for affordable housing in the area.

Surely what you meant to say is that you view Right to Buy as a good thing and not that it 'clearly' is (i.e. as some sort of indisputable fact)?

What has s106 to do with the Right to Buy?

Also, aren't s106 agreement renogiations (obviously in favour of reducing the obligations with regard to the amount of 'affordable' housing) the subject of coalition policy?

Edit: Indeed the renogiation (and possible discharge) of affordable housing obligations was supposed to be part of the Growth and Infrastructure bill. Not sure whether that is still going through, though. Alan Johnson said something about that legislation on This Week the other day. He was talking about the 'employee-owner' nonsense and saying that had been knocked back but I don't know whether he was referring to the whole bill or just that section.

Edited by snowychap

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â