Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

pnXAE7I.png

I've been baffled by this for a while now. All the reviews say that the Samsung phones have superior battery life, but from talking to people I've never gotten that impression.

I think you'll find that once hundreds of poor quality apps are installed on android phones there's much more potential for the processes in the background to be waking the CPU all the time, keeping the scheduler busy and perhaps keeping the frequency up. These tests are probably done on fresh phones. Although from my experience anyone with an s3 that I've spoken to has been amazed by the battery life, and my iPhone using friends have always complained.

Edited by darrenm

Phone batteries stop accepting a charge at about 99% and will let the battery drain to about 95% before accepting a charge again.   This is to stop people from accidentally overcharging a battery and knackering it. 

gQ7ta1Z.jpg

Tag Heuer Racer - 

• Avant Garde Android Software
  • 3D intelligent user interface
  • Lightweight and high tech components
  • Unsurpassed reliability and shockproof construction
  • Mastering speed with 1ghz processor 
  • 3.5G, Email AGPS, WiFi
  • Ultimate touch screen 3.5"

£5800. 

Soooo...

99% of All Android Phones Have A 'Master Key' Flaw That Gives Hackers A Back Door

Ninety-nine percent of Android phones contain a "master key" flaw that allows hackers to access all apps inside the phone, according to Jeff Forristal, CTO of Bluebox Security.

The flaw leaves Android phones massively vulnerable to malware, botnets and computer fraud, he claims in a blog post:

The implications are huge!

... Installation of a Trojan application from the device manufacturer can grant the application full access to Android system and all applications (and their data) currently installed. The application then not only has the ability to read arbitrary application data on the device (email, SMS messages, documents, etc.), retrieve all stored account & service passwords, it can essentially take over the normal functioning of the phone and control any function thereof (make arbitrary phone calls, send arbitrary SMS messages, turn on the camera, and record calls).

Google was alerted to the flaw in February, Forristal told the Black Hat USA conference for internet security experts.

The flaw is conceptually very simple, at least the way Forristal explains it. The flaw allows an app's "application package file" — its software, basically — to be changed without changing the app's cryptographic signature. So the app reads as genuine even though it has been altered by hackers or malware. Forristal writes:

All Android applications contain cryptographic signatures, which Android uses to determine if the app is legitimate and to verify that the app hasn’t been tampered with or modified. This vulnerability makes it possible to change an application’s code without affecting the cryptographic signature of the application – essentially allowing a malicious author to trick Android into believing the app is unchanged even if it has been.

The flaw has existed since 2009, according to Endgadget.

Google has so far declined comment. We'll update this item if the company makes a statement.

The good news, according to CIO, is that Google has fixed the Google Play app store so that it will not allow apps that are vulnerable to the flaw. But apps downloaded from non-Google third parties remain vulnerable.

Turns out Galaxy Mega is pretty good 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/samsung-galaxy-mega-review/

Will pick one up off ebay later in the year to replace my Tab 7.7

Best Price on eBay is £369, but they are not out in Europe yet. 

Had a go on one today, massive thing. But I feel like getting one of those anyway as my only device, but it will be the Sony. Otherwise it will be the Note3

So, problem number 5 with the S3

It was on, I couldn't access my gallery to send some pictures, so I rebooted and it wouldn't restart and now won't turn on at all.

Any suggestions?

Five faults? Take it back to where you bought it and get it changed. Know your right and don't be fobbed of by the retailer. If you want to help yourself, do a factory reset first.

If you started new threads for things, I'd be able to find out the nature of your problems and try a detect a root cause, but I have no idea what other problems you've had.

Mentioned a few pages back the screen freezing,also had battery from 100% to 20%, switching off for no reason, getting warm and this.

I rooted it, so.. that means they will not replace it. Right?

Mentioned a few pages back the screen freezing,also had battery from 100% to 20%, switching off for no reason, getting warm and this.

I rooted it, so.. that means they will not replace it. Right?

They'll try and use that as an excuse not to, yes.

Hopefully if it's dead they'll just replace it without ever finding out.

Beware. Here be monsters.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/supportRepairSelfTracking.do?page=REPAIR.TRACKING

If you go to Samsung, they'll repair it. They'll either attempt to claim that it's been water damaged because the moisture indicator has been tripped, or they'll repair it, turn it on, see superuser and try to charge you for the repair. Even if you managed to get it back to stock, it will still have the flash counter showing a non-standard flash.

Or if you're lucky, they'll repair it, see it turns on and send it back.

Your other options are to go back to the original retailer, argue with them, be prepared to threaten them with small claims court, repeat the sales of goods act ad nauseum, and get ready to dig your heels in.

It's why I stick with Nexus devices. They're kind of exempt from the root excuse, and if bought from the Play Store will be replaced by Google.

Let us know how you get on.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â